You are currently browsing the monthly archive for December 2013.
This morning, I finally finished Ulysses! It took me nearly four months of not entirely pleasant plodding, but it feels like a victory. I can’t say I understood much of what I read (yes, even with the companion book…) but I did enjoy the language, especially Joyce’s funny way of smashing words together.
I loved a few other books this year that weren’t released in 2013–The Age of Innocence, When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka, Half In Love by Maile Meloy, The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger and The Lone Pilgrim by Laurie Colwin.
I read a lot of books that did come out this year that, sadly, I really hated. (I’m not mean enough to reiterate which those were).
Friends of mine released some great work this year–The Transcriber by Kristen Witucki, Domestic Uncertainties by Leah Umansky, The Man Who Noticed Everything by Adrian Van Young, An Explanation for Everything by Lauren Grodstein and more.
My favorites that came out this year or late last year were:
- The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg (SO GOOD. This is my idea of a page-turner.)
- Elect H. Mouse State Judge by Nelly Reifler (Barbie and Ken made me cry!)
- The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle (
even though he didn’t email me back when I wrote him after reading it.he DID email back!)
- Tenth of December by George Saunders (yes, of course.)
- Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter (at the time, I didn’t think I loved this book. I still probably didn’t love it but I think about it ALL the time. It really was incredible in a lot of ways).
- Volt by Alan Heathcock (I think I have to read it again to absorb it fully, but I can still feel the mood of the book months later.)
What were your favorites?